Thursday, October 22, 2009

Seriously??!!

I am at the batting cages for a little pre-game practice.
I am taking my turns in the 80 mph cage because 1.) it has the shortest line, and 2.) we'll be facing a quick pitcher tonight.
The only other people rotating with me at that cage are a group of high school boys.
I listen to them ramble about people at their school and their weekend plans.
Suddenly one of the boys turns to me and asks, "So, which school do you go to?"
I stare dumbfounded at the group of kids.
Seriously?!! He can not possibly be talking to me??!!
The answer that comes to my head: "Well, I graduated from college 3 1/2 yrs ago, and I've been married long enough that if I had had a kid right away, it would now be attending kindergarten at Coyote Hills Elementary."
I think that this answer might be a little harsh, and I don't want to fully embarrass the kid in front of his friends.
Instead, I simply answer, "Uhhh, I don't go to school."
He turns away a little confused but doesn't bother me again.
My dignity is shred to pieces.
Apparently I could enroll in a local high school and no one would know the difference!

Just to top things off...
A few hours later I walk into the park where I play ball.
The guy checking for contraband tells me to just walk on thru.
Apparently he doesn't need to check my bag.
As I walk past him he yells, "I doubt you're even old enough to buy beer, right?!"

Two times in one night. You have got to be kidding me??!! Do I really look that young??!!

6 comments:

  1. Love it,I don't get that as much with two kids in tow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good song, first of all! (the format one... i love that song) but that's hilarious! i have totally had some of the same conversations but now with a growing belly it probably won't happen as much anymore. maybe you should get pregnant, rachel?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the way the world is changing I don't think having a baby would help anything. I just heard a story about a high school that currently has 115 pregnant girls attending. Maybe you should just milk it and see where it takes you. If you get asked to a Prom, I will pay for your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In just a few more years you will be begging for comments like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats funny! its better to get young than old right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, Rach! I love this post. This happens to me all the time. How refreshing. That HS child was totally trying to pick you up. Tell Brett.

    ReplyDelete