Thursday, November 3, 2011

26.2

26.2 miles.  46,112 yards.  138,336 feet.  1,660,032 inches!
On Saturday, October 1st, Brett ran the St. George Marathon I still can hardly believe it!!  Considering that the furthest distance I have ever run is 7 miles, 26.2 seems almost impossible.  Even more unbelievable, he did VERY LITTLE training for it!!!  Brett started running only a few months before the race, and ran only one 16-mile and one 20-mile training run before the race!  Seriously, who does that??!!  Brett does.  He has more mental strength than ANYONE I know.  (And I'm not just saying that because I'm his wife.  He also ran a triathlon a few years ago with NO training whatsoever!)
Weston and I drove up through Snow Canyon to cheer him on with hugs and kisses at mile marker 16.  Then we headed back into town to claim our spot at the finish line.
After watching runner after runner get hauled off in ambulances, I literally burst into tears when I finally saw Brett turn the corner heading for the finish line.  I have never been so happy to see him safe and still in one piece, and never been so PROUD of anyone.  Ever.
Who looks this good just SECONDS after crossing the finish line??!!  Seriously.
Brett's final chip time was 5:03:41.  With the amount of training he put in (or lack there of :]) I can't believe he was able to finish in that amount of time!  He even said that he never felt winded, but that he felt like his legs literally couldn't hold up his body another second.  Apparently his mental strength won over, because he finished his last mile in 7:30!  Seriously amazing!
His #1 fan is very happy to see him. :)
Brett's brother-in-law Gabe ran the marathon as well.  We had fun seeing Brett's sister Bobbie, Gabe, and their kids for the few days.

While in St. George, we were able to stay with Brett's best friend John and his family.  It was so fun to spend time with their cute family, and so nice to not have to pay for a hotel!  While at their house we played games, watched General Conference, and enjoyed some absolutely uh-maz-ing meals!!  They even took us to visit their neighbor's brand new baby pigs.  SO fun!

Thank you thank you to the Leavitts for letting us invade your house for 3 days! 
And thank you thank you to Brett for surviving the 26.2 miles and not making me a widow.

6 comments:

  1. that is a HUGE accomplishment. like one i never want to achieve but completely admire :) seriously go brett! i almost burst in to tears just reading this!

    happy birthday weston! i cant believe he's one!!!! big big sweet boy. and you look amazing. miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I think that would be so amazing to accomplish. Way to go! I'm glad he made it :)
    I also can't believe Weston is 1. Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO great! Congrats to Brett! And how fun you guys stayed with the Leavitts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious how many people Brett ran off the road with his cow herding walking ways? I think I got ran off the road at least 4 times a day in Puerto Rico.

    Good on you Brett. That is quite the accomplishment. Now dunk a basketball so I can pay you your $50.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We loved having you! You are welcome anytime :) Brett really did a fantastic job, he didn't even act tired. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRETT!! That is amazing. WOW! Way to go. We are so impressed and proud of you. You look like you finished strong ... so great!

    ReplyDelete