Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm Feeling Great

I did it! I made it through eight weeks of eating healthy and exercising daily, all for the possibility of a little extra cash.

A few things I have learned from "Feel Great in Eight"...

  • I am NOT a vegetable person. I would rather eat almost anything. For the past eight weeks, my dinner has commonly consisted of all three daily servings of vegetables becuase I had not eaten ANY throughout the day.
  • The only thing worse for you in this world than a slice of cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory (700-1300 cals.) is one of their entrees (990-2300 cals.). Dang it!!
  • Eating 25 grams of fiber a day does a VERY good job of keeping you "regular."
  • It only takes a week of denial to finally admit you are completely and utterly addicted to mexcian food. And then it only takes a few hours of searching to learn there is absolutely NO healthy mexican food. :(
  • Papa John's has a whole wheat crust that is actually quite delicious!
  • Nothing is more depressing than turning down free desserts.
  • I am a total fruit junkie! Currently in my house I have fresh peaches, cantalope, raspberries, kiwi, honeydew, pineapple, apples, and bananas. I also have blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries in the freezer. YUM!!!!!
  • After 5 weeks of almost NO fat in my diet, a greasy Philly cheesteak DOES NOT sit very well. It tasted delicious, by my stomach had some serious objections. :(
  • It's amazing how others are inspired to make healthy changes in their life. My motivation has helped many friends, family, and co-workers make resolutions to start leading a healthier lifestyle. Great job everyone!
  • In-n-Out can actually be healthy! If you order your In-n-Out burger "protien style" (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun) and with katsup and mustard instead of the spread, it drops your meal from 390 calories to only 160!
  • It's fun to see that you are losing weight each week...until one day you suddenly realize that all that weight you've lost has only come from your boobs! I guess I need to pull out my training bras again!
  • I'm going to die of water intoxication. When we started this, I already knew that I drink alot of water each day, but I wondered if I actually got the necessary 64 oz. a day. After the first day I added up my water intake, to find that I had dranken almost 200 oz. A few more days with similar results, and I decided that I must be part camel! I've since researched "death by water" and I'm actually surprised I haven't died yet!
  • Eight weeks is A LOT longer than it sounds!!

  • I'm so greatful for the opportunity I've had to participate in this. I've learned so much about nutrition and what my body ACTUALLY needs. Thanks to my cute friend Hilary for putting it all together. After eight weeks, I'm definitely "feeling great!"


    * For those who are unaware, for the past eight weeks I have been participating in a competition with several friends called Feel Great in Eight. It is a program that helps you establish a healthy lifestyle by promoting mental, spiritual, and phsical health through healthy eating, daily exercise, daily prayer and scripture study, etc. The results: a better you! (and a cash prize for the winner!!!)*

    9 comments:

    1. It all sounds wonderful! Great job! So did you win anything?? (besides good feelings and habits yada, yada, yada. ;))

      ReplyDelete
    2. okay so what's the deal? what do you do? i just ate a bowl of mac and cheese and am feeling guilty.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Sounds like a good challenge! I'm jealous of all the fruit in your fridge!

      ReplyDelete
    4. That is great! I might need to call you after the twins are born and get the low down and details. And go you for drinking so MUCH water! I hate water-- but am forced to drink it!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Why on earth did you need to lose weight!?!? I told Chris a few weeks ago how great you looked and that I was jealous of your biceps (wow) and no fat little body. What have you been doing. I was doing great on a "eat clean diet" until I went on vacation. Threw everything out the window, gained everything back and struggling a month later. HELP!

      ReplyDelete
    6. So proud of you that's awesome! Congrats on finishing, I am finally ready to get motivated and kick my butt into gear. I keep telling myself I want to look like Rachel, sigh, maybe someday (minus a few inches).

      ReplyDelete
    7. YEah!!!! girl i want to tell you you helped motivate me to figure out why i never loose weight when i diet... lol it would be because I dont digest my food lol but since figuring out my gluten issues i have lost 3 lbs in one week. with out really working out or doing anything other than not eating any breads, cakes, cereal... basically anything good lol! so thanks for the motivation

      ReplyDelete
    8. ok, i'm surprised you haven't died from all your water intake, too!! what the? but yay! i love this post, rachel!! it makes me so happy to hear that so many people have been affected and motivated from seeing your healthy habits! and i'm with your friend, you totally didn't need to lose ANY weight! you have the body we all want! but i'm so glad you "feel great" and have made healthier changes for the good! that's what FG8 is all about! and oh yeah, if you haven't checked your email yet you should... you took 2nd place, girl!! that's so awesome! especially because i know you were traveling a lot during the whole thing! now THAT'S dedication right there!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Hi Rach. I agree with many of these conclusions, the greatest of which is the boob thing. Kevin is very disappointed. He calls in Feel Hate in Eight.

      ReplyDelete