Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Went To Work Today

It was weird.

Usually my days consist of nursing, housework, diaper changes, dishes, tummy time, laundry, yard work, and baths.  Today my day consisted of periodontal chartings, sterilizing, flossing instructions, xrays, polishing, instrument sharpening, and patient notes.

Before I left for work, I felt like I was abandoning my child.  Once I got there, it felt like a day off.  I worked hard.  I got caught up on the office gossip.  It felt like a glimpse into my former life.  But then I would think about my little man at home and remember that my life is completely different now.  I care more about how many dirty diapers he has during the day than about one patient's upcoming retirement or another patient's newly torn ACL.  How things have changed! 

It was great to have a day to myself, to communicate with other adults and think about things besides Weston's feeding schedule.  But at the same time, it is even greater that I have the ability to stay home and care for him on a daily basis.  To raise him and watch him grow, instead of leaving that responsibility to someone else. 

I am grateful that I have a skill I could support us with, but I am more grateful that I don't have to use it. 

BIG thanks to my hardworking hubby who makes my ability to stay home possible, and to my mom who took care of Weston so that I could fill in at my office for the day.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to all of that! Being home is the BEST! Hard working hubbies are awesome! Loving Grandmas rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love knowing how great you have it... On my worst days as a mom I NEVER want to go back to work. Any time you need adult conversation come on over - forget work. :)

    ReplyDelete