Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Irony of Gender

Brett likes to say that I have "girl crushes" because I'm constantly pointing out girls with cute outfits or cute hairdos. I like to say that I'm just taking mental notes on how to make MYSELF look cuter. Despite the reason that I do this, my hobby recently took a very ironic turn.

I was shopping at my favorite new Forever 21 (this seems to be a recurring theme!) when I saw the CUTEST girl walk past me. She was taller than me, thinner than me, had a beautiful complexion, the cutest long black hair (even though it was obviously extensions), and the most adorable dress and boots I have EVER seen! I was thinking about asking her where she got her boots from, but decided it might seem odd to chase after her for some shopping advice. About half an hour later as I was perusing another section, I overheard a man talking about his $200 sweat suit. I looked up because I was curious to see what kind of man buys, or is even INTERESTED in, a $200 sweat suit. Well, apparently one who also likes to pretend he's a girl. Yes, the chick that I had been oogling over was actually a dude!!!
(To my credit, I have since taken three different people there, all of whom thought she was beautiful and were convinced I was wrong until they heard her speak. In case you are thinking I'm still mistaken, I've also had confirmation from another Forever 21 employee.)

So now I'm wondering, should that be considered a "girl crush" or a "boy crush?" Hmmm.....

8 comments:

  1. i've seen her!!!! or him?!! one time when i was walking into the store she welcomed me and totally mistakened me for another customer who was there earlier that same day! i thought the exact same thing!! she was very pretty and did not look like a guy at all! i just wonder what my face looked like when she started talking to me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have totally seen her too!!! She was in another store with a girl that wasn't near a pretty as she/he was. I was SHOCKED when I heard her talk! I was secretly stalking her to find out if she was really a he. Crazy!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so funny! and i miss you a lot! i wish you were coming up here to with brett! love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACK! Actually, there are a couple of students at my school that are so androgynous. Like I really can't tell. So I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this post made me laugh out loud. That is too funny. I love it. Do you live in AZ? Cause I'm going to to be moved back home in 2 weeks and I absolutely have to see this girl-guy! Plus, I want to go to this legendary 2 story Forever 21!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny! You are hilarious. Did you get brave enough to ask about the outfit after that? I love reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the SYTYCD countdown! I know, I'm completely freaking out! Two things... yes, you did introduce me to edamame. And it really is a new addiciton. Just proof that all things great are also all things Blaser. And I saw your man/girl at Forever 21! Jill and I flipped!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I totally know the person...girl or whatever you are talking about! Funny!

    ReplyDelete