Thursday, January 28, 2010

I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore

Lately, I've been slightly confused as to where we live. 
I've always thought we lived in the sunny state of Arizona, until last Monday when the weekly weather forecast predicted an entire week of heavy rain.  Since we don't get much precipitation in Arizona, I figured we must live in Seattle.

I went through part of the week wondering where all the coffee shops were, until our house suddenly became lake-front property, and not only many of the city streets, but several FREEWAYS, were shut down because of severe flooding.  Then I assumed this must be New Orleans.

I started looking for Bourbon Street, until Thursday when I heard that we would shortly be experiencing 65 mph winds and that a tornado warning was in effect.  I decided we must live in Oklahoma.

And then I heard that a 6 yr old boy was swept out of his car by one of the floods and was presumed dead.  A house in Scottsdale was slowly sliding off a muddy ledge into the Cave Creek Wash.  Hundreds of cars worth millions of dollars were destroyed at the Barrett-Jackson Auction when light-pole-sized tent poles were uprooted and smashed onto them.  Many roofs in Flagstaff and Pinetop were collapsing because of the 5-6 FEET of snow piling up on top of them.  Then, I didn't know where we lived.

A week later, things are back to normal and I've decided we ARE still in Arizona.  Except there's one thing still troubling me: a WEEK later, although the water has gone down SEVERAL FEET, I'm still living on a lake front.

5 comments:

  1. That's insane! I can't believe AZ has had such crazy weather lately! At least the view is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that is crazy that there is still that much water at your park! it really hasn't felt like arizona at all lately, jeff and i agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blame it on global warming... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my family in AZ told me the storms were bad, but I had NO idea they were this bad! Thanks for that awesome description. Now I'll go prepare myself for North Carolina's "severe urgent winter storm watch" this weekend. Wish me luck :-) It was fun reading your blog. You're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way! What is up with the weather lately? This is nonsense, but i totally enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete