Friday, October 24, 2008

Spiders

Behold: my first "project" with my beloved Cricut.


Yes, I have recently acquired a cricut. Before you go thinking I am rolling in wealth, no, I did not actually pay $300 for a scrapbooking cutting machine (although now that I have experienced the fun, I might have actually considered it). For those who don't know the story, about a month or two ago Brett and I were at our favorite Wednesday night date night location: an amazing furniture auction in downtown phoenix. I think almost every piece of furniture in our house has come from that auction, and they always have random house decor, appliances, and electronics that they sell as well. (Brett basically has a side business on Craigslist for all the video games and parts that he gets from there.) Well, this particular night as we were enjoying the mindless chatter of the auctioneer, I looked up and noticed the next item for bid was a Cricut! NO WAY!! "Bid, Bid!" I yelled at Brett. He looked at me like I was crazy but started the bidding...at $5! Apparently no one else there knew what this was, or what it was worth, because I ended up getting the thing for a total of $36.50! I was ecstatic, but a little nervous that I had possibly just purchased a broken or dead machine. To make a long story short, it works, and I am absolutely loving it. It has come in handy for several different scrapbook pages, but today was the first day I did "something else" with it. I was playing with one of my new cartridges when I realized it contained spiders and pumpkins. Perfect for the Halloween season! I debated about what kind of project I wanted to complete, and then finally settled on something pretty basic. I simply cut out a bunch of spiders and hung them from the chandelier over my dining table. Easy, but still, kinda cute. For some reason I think most Halloween decorations are ugly or tacky (and this one probably is too), but for some reason I like it. I'm still looking for the day when I finish a "REAL project," i.e. some sort of vinyl letter something, but for now this will do.
Happy Halloween!

6 comments:

  1. Rachel! I'm so glad you found me on here :) You and your hubby are absolutely adorable together! I'm sort of new to the blogging thing but I try to update it as much as possible. So good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, Yipee!!! I love blogs, what a great way to catch up with old friends. You and your husband are too cute, it looks like you're doing really good. I'm so happy for you! Let's keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spiders turned out super cute! And what a great deal too! Where is this place that your talking about?

    We still live in Mesa right by Mesa High on Gilbert and Southern. We have been trying to sell our house for 2 years now though! So it looks like you guys are back in AZ, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rach,

    When I saw the title of your blog post, I was scared to read it because I hate spiders A LOT, but then I was glad I did. As I told you last night... the spiders are not tacky--they are adorable, as is EVERYTHING you make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you got this for so cheap. I have a cricut but I paid full price. Oh well. Don't you love it, they cut out the coolest things. When you figure out how to do vinyl lettering let me know and you can teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the cutest wife ever, that is so cool you had a party and even cooler that I recognize most the faces from going to Guatemala with them. Tell everyone hi, Brett is one lucky guy. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete